Child Benefit Shocker

Posted: March 5, 2012 in benefits, government, rights, socialism
Tags: , , , , , ,

Child Benefit Cut in Popular with Public Shock – from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17255753

Apparently people earning more than £42,475 having their Child Benefit removed is a popular with about 77% of voters. Perhaps the most shocking thing about this statistic is that only 77% of taxpayers polled backed the scheme. You’ve gotta wonder about the other 23%. Note that isn’t families earning £42,475 but individuals. So in the future if both parents have respective salaries of £42,475 they will still qualify for child benefit. That’s a combined salary of £84,950 – and they will still receive this tax free subsidy. I could wax lyrical about the inherent ludicrousness of such a scheme but I think I’ll restrain my argument to a few salient points. First off, I simply can not believe that almost every family (regardless of income) currently qualifies for Child Benefit under current legislation. Secondly, it would seem to me that these changes plainly do not go far enough. People who do not need this hand out will still qualify to receive it.

What irks me most about this type of government spending however, is the patronizing molly coddling of the welfare state. Not capable of planning for the costs of parenthood themselves, individuals are deemed too incompetent to provide a basic standard of living for their own children. Anybody who earns anything like £42,475 but requires a government hand out to support their children is clearly lacking more than just the £20 a week they will get under the scheme (for the first child). And under the present system there are people earning FAR more than this and still qualifying. Of course, there will be many families with much lower incomes to whom such a benefit has become essential. The fact that such a benefit has become essential to any family raising a child is in some ways the crux of the problem. That a family could only afford to raise a child with a leg up from the state is a truly depressing state of affairs. This is not to say that raising children on low income is in any way an easy task. Far from it. Rising prices and stagnant wages must surely be an intolerable strain on any family struggling to make ends meet. But there are much  better ways of supporting these families (such as raisng the personal allowance on income tax to £12,000) that wouldn’t encourage the same level of dependency.

I think the main point is that people should try to plan for raising a family. Sure, accidents will happen. Some form of limited government assistance may be deemed necessary, charity should also help. But part of the reason why people can afford to be so reckless in these affairs is the knowledge that the government will bear some of the strain. Anyone considering the most important decision of all – to bring a child into the world – would do well to remember that it is their responsibility to plan for, provide for and protect the welfare of this new life.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s